Getting to Tigerbay Retreat can be half the fun. There is loads to do on the way down as well as when you are here!
Recommended route from Hobart
- Follow the A3 to Sorell then follow the A9 signs to Port Arthur
- At Eaglehawk Neck follow the Port Arthur signs to Taranna
- At the southern outskirts of Taranna (just past the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park) turn right onto the B37 (Nubeena Road) and travel for 9 km until you reach The Old Trading Store at the junction of Saltwater River Road and Nubeena Road, Premaydena.
- Turn right at the store into Saltwater River Road (C341)
- Travel about 7 km and you are there - Saltwater River.
- The Surgeon's Cottage, 719 Saltwater River Road, is on the left side of the road (through the gate on the sea side of the pine tree and straight up the laneway) and Semaphore House,724 Saltwater River Road is ahead ( closer to the sea) on the right (on the corner as the road bends sharply to the left).
View Tigerbay Retreat in a larger map
So why do we call it Tigerbay Retreat? Our family thinks the unnamed bay at low tide looks like hundreds of Tassie Tiger stripes - come and look for yourself!